Thursday, April 17, 2008

Stoking the Blog Flames Not a Success

My strategy for writing a blog that would solicit the most comments from outside users was to pick a topic that was current and also of great public interest. Considering that this is election time I decided to focus on the intense primary battle between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. Since I am an Obama fan I decided to write something that would support my candidate. However, I thought it over and realized that a negative attack towards a political candidate is more likely to generate controversy than giving praise towards one, so I decided to try and use some arguments from Obama supporters and write a blog about Clinton's refusal to admit defeat and how it was tearing the democratic party apart in a time when they need to start coming together to try and prepare for the general election this fall. I generally do believe Clinton is in fact tearing the party apart and her tactics to try and win have been shameless, such as telling the public she thinks McCain is a stronger candidate than Obama, which breaks the unwritten rule that you are not supposed say or do anything in a primary that will damage your party's chances in the main election. The overall message in my blog was something I actually believed in. However, to make my comments just a little more controversial I added a few sentences I don't necessarily believe in an attempt to generate more of a response to my blog post. For example I don't necessarily agree with my statement that she is only trying to win to make up for the humiliation she received during her days as first lady. After reading over my blog I was pretty satisfied that it would be of interest to anyone who followed politics, especially those who were Clinton supporters and would want to defend her via a comment on my blog. The biggest surprise to me in this assignment was the level of difficulty in trying to get my blog noticed. After being told MassLive forums were a good medium to showcase my posts, I signed up for an account enabling me to post comments and I added a link to my blog. I wasn't necessarily expecting to become the next blogging sensation overnight, but I at least thought one or two curious bloggers might give me a chance and check out my link. Perhaps, the extra step of clicking on a link turned potential bloggers away, but whatever the reason I received no comments. This leads me to believe that however important it is to write something controversial, even more essential is the ability to market and advertise your blog. In the ever-populated world of internet bloggers you must find a way to separate yourself from the masses and achieve your own identity as an internet personality.

No comments: