Thursday, February 21, 2008

Letters to the Editor

Recently I wrote two letters to the editors of two different newspapers; the New York Times and the Daily Hampshire Gazette. I chose to write my letter to the New York Times based on a very disturbing, but not surprising, editorial about our health care system and possible allegations of corruption within it. The editiorial talked about how the United Health Group allegedly uses faulty numbers to estimate the average co-payments patients make at their doctors office. The company that compiles the data for United Health Group is owned by them, and thus their loyaltie are, of course, to their parent company. Basically by using faulty numbers, health care prices become higher than they actually should be for all patients.
I feel the issue of health care, and badly needed health care reform, is one of the most important in our country. This recent information in the editorial about how the large scale health care corporations scam their patients is directly related to this issue. It is tough for patients to pay their health care bills even without their health care company paying less than they should during every doctors visit. The editorial also talked about how the New York Attorney General is trying to press legal actions against the United Health Group, which I believe is a good first step towards eliminating corruption in the health care system. However, it is still not enough. I thought that I would have a good chance to get my letter published by writing my letter to the editor and showing how outraged citizens are about this problem. It is a good medium to express that we will not tolerate being overcharged by wealthy corporations that do not need the money more than its average client. I also believed this was a good topic to write about because of its importance in the upcoming elections and its effect on almost everyone's life.
My second letter to the Daily Hampshire Gazette was in response to the recent violence across Amherst and especially involving Umass students. I decided to choose this topic because it affects me directly; I am a Umass student and I occasionaly attend parties where these violent episodes often take place. Because of the nature of this problem and its continued coverage in recent years, I thought this was a good way to get my letter published. I have lived in Amherst since Elementary school and now since I attend Umass, this issue was too important and too relevant for me to pass up on. Also I know many students are also frustrated by the recent violence and by writing about it, I could be a voice representing how many others also feel about the issue.

No comments: