Sunday, February 24, 2008

At Least One Letter to the Editor is a Success

I learned today that my letter to the Daily Hampshire Gazette was a success and was published in the February 20 edition on Wednesday. I did not submit my letter until Tuesday night and was quite surprised that it ran in the next day's edition. Today is Sunday and I actually found out about my letter from my father when his wife happened to be reading Wednesday's paper and saw my letter to the editor. I was expecting an e-mail from the Gazette informing me they were going to run my letter, but I guess that is not their protocol. Either way I was surprised to hear my letter had been published because I had been checking letters to the Gazette every day, ironically except for Wednesday due to how late on Tuesday night I submitted my letter. In fact it was probably early Wednesday morning. Either way I'm glad my letter was run and it speaks volumes about how seriously the community is taking this issue of violence involving U-mass students and local residents.

4 comments:

AD said...

Congratulations.

I enjoyed your letter to the paper too, and agree that something needs to be done about the violence, or more drastic action could be taken by the University.

Emily said...

Congratulations on being published! Since I wrote about the same topic it's good to know our voice is being heard somewhere.

Grace the Dog said...

Really interesting that they ran your letter so fast. The Gazette didn't call me, either. Your case makes it sound as though aren't getting many letters. (It took them two days to run mine.) The fact that they called neither of us means something might be going on there -- they always used to call me.

Scott Brodeur said...

Cory also heard about her letter running in her hometown paper from phone calls from relatives. Pretty funny how that works.